Electronic cigarettes have gained a lot of popularity in the last few years, going from novelty devices back in 2007-2008 when they were first introduced on the market to the most appreciated day-to-day companions of millions of ex-smokers worldwide.
While they look very similar to their analog counterparts, you don’t have to judge a book by its cover. E-cigarettes are battery powered devices that use a heating element called an atomizer to vaporize a nicotine based e-liquid which the user inhales. The difference is that the vaper gets his nicotine fix without all the chemicals and carcinogens found in tobacco smoke. The e-liquid or e-juice is made of only four ingredients that are non-toxic and are used in a lot of other day-to-day products. Vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, liquid nicotine and flavorings are heated up into thick clouds of delicious vaper by the use of a rechargeable battery.
Depending on their type, e-cigarette work with either flavor cartomizers (that last as long as a pack of analogs and must be replaced regularly) or with e-liquid (the black cartomizers, clearomizers of tanks have to be refilled by the user once depleted).
And even though these devices are becoming increasingly popular, here are five things things to know about electronic cigarettes:
- Nicotine concentrations can vary depending on brand, that’s why it’s always a good idea to pay close attention on what you’re buying or ordering. A regular pack-a-day ex-smoker will generally be satisfied with a nicotine level from 1.8% to 2.4%. However, there are brands that sell e-cigarettes with nicotine levels greater than 3.6% which could be very potent for a casual smoker. This is why you should start with a regular nicotine strength and increase the concentration or decrease it with your next purchase if you are not completely satisfied.
- Consider doing some research before buying your first starter kit, and go for a brand that has an increased online popularity. Besides the quality of their products, these companies also offer many additional extras like 30-day money back guarantee, 1 year or lifetime commercial warranty and free shipping.
- While e-cigarettes come in a lot of fruity or sweet flavors, they are not intended for children, so no matter how strong the arguments of your teen, don’t buy such a device for him/her. While it is harmless, and almost all brands offer nicotine free flavors, the mimicking of smoking is not considered a healthy and appropriate behavior for his/her age.
- No matter what sort of e-cigarette you will choose, it will still require some maintenance from time to time in order to work properly. Besides recharging of the batteries and refilling/replacing the cartomizers you will need to regularly clean the battery contacts or unclog the atomizer with hot water.
- Always pay attention when using your e-cigarette in public places. While some locations encourage the use of these devices, in many other places it might be mistaken with smoking or might fall under the same regulations. You are like an ambassador of vaping, so always behave properly and act with care when puffing next to other people.